7.01.2010

Rainy First of July

Of course on the first day in July (in Oregon) it would be raining. But no worries because Elizabeth and I were still able to get out this morning before the wetness hit. We took our normal loop around the main stretch of road.....stopping for coffee (tall soy cinnamon dolche latte) for me because I SO needed it today, and then a stop at Freddie's for puffs (for Libby). 
Next we circled the neighborhood stopping by the school to see if the chickens were out. The amazing school right down the street from where Elizabeth's family lives has the best set-up I've ever seen in a school. They have each of the classes plant their own gardens with a theme so the school has giant raspberry bushes, tall corn stalks, veggies, numerous flowers, etc as well as CHICKENS! The chickens have a beautiful caged area but are also able to roam around the perimeter of the school throughout the day and amazingly they stay in their "yard". Elizabeth really loves to check them out although part of me is sure she enjoys this stop just because I take her out of the stroller to really check them out and she likes the escape. :)
I do have a lesson about coffee and strollers.....they don't mix. Every slight bump I hit the coffee would spew out all over me; even though the cup was safely in the holder! Lesson learned and can't believe this was the first time I've experienced that. 
Nap time was long today, which is always good and I was able to get a lot done. I cooked tortellini for our lunch, did the dishes, and cleaned up the house. I also updated her nanny notes and even texted my mom. ;)
It's really important to go the extra mile when I nanny because I feel like it's the difference between mom and dad being really happy and being stressed. And they really appreciate the extra touches and usually help you out when you need it in return. 
Oh and "nanny notes" are something I do but not everyone will. I literally keep a small journal notebook and hour-by-hour, day-by-day, I write down things we do, experiences we have, what she eats, when I change her diaper (whether it was wet or poopy), and anything I want to communicate with her parents. It's the best way for them to know how the day was and to look back later and see all the things she's been through and accomplished. It's that extra step. 
I'm home now and exhausted. I cleaned my own place and have a 14-hour day ahead of me tomorrow. That's for real, 14 hours of work, not including wake up/travel/or even breaks. Bummer, but it's worth it because the 4th is ALL MINE! 
I'll leave tonight with this:

This is the precious girl when I first started with her at 4 months old. 

And this:

Is the goofball now.......She's so funny. ;) At 15 months.

1 comment:

  1. I love nanny notes! I still have W's from several years back. Any chance I could lure you back down to Corvallis in the fall? We need a babysitter/nanny!

    ReplyDelete